ADEB is also a forum where members can meet and discuss specific issues mattering their sector.
The committees bring together publishers or members of their teams who are specialised in an issue which is necessary to study in detail, in the interests of the entire industry.
The Legal Committee
The objectives of the Legal Committee :
- The establishment and provision of model contracts.
- Organising training
- Legal advice for the members of ADEB
- Access to a group insurance policy for members of ADEB
- The analysis of legislative decisions which may have an impact on the publishing business, and informing members of these.
The Legal Committee elaborates and gives models of contracts validated by an outside lawyer specialized in copyright as well as a Code of the uses, the ethical guide resuming the usual practices of publishing in paper as well as digital formats.
The Legal Committee analyses all legislative decisions which could have an impact on the publishing industry, and makes summaries of their conclusions to the industry.
It organizes training on legal themes concerning the publishing world and, for the members of ADEB, it offers legal advice for informative purposes. It has set up a collective insurance policy in civil and professional liability adapted to the publishing business and to its specifities.
Besides the close collaboration with Book.be, it works with the other companies (SMart, Sabam, Ligue Braille) on various issues affecting copyright to find common solutions, whilst taking care of the protection of the right of the publishers.
The Digital Committee
The objectives of the Digital Committee :
- Participation in PILEn : development of training for the e-book industry, production and analysis of statistics in the French-language digital book market ;
- Closely follow VAT in the e-book industry.
The Book Price Committee
The objectives of the Commission Book Price:
- Answer questions from members on the application of the decree
- Report to the public authorities the issues concerning the application of the decree
The sections of ADEB are the groups who bring together publishers specialised in the same area – academic, scientific… . They look for common solutions to specific issues in the publishing industry, and lead specialised, concerted action when appropriate.
The Section of Educational Publishers
Aims of the Section :
- Activities to raise awareness of the phenomenon of photocopying in educational environments.
- The promotion of textbooks and books in schools.
- The defense of the demands of the sector to the public authorities.
The Section of Scientific and References Publishers
Aims of the Section of Scientific and References Publishers :
- Promoting the presence of scientific publications in specific markets
- Putting in place support structures for the section of human sciences (e.g. translation and buying)
- Negotiating the limits of open access and digital use of publications by third parties.
The Section of Diffusers – Distributors
Objectives of the Section of Distributors:
- Study of the price of the book, taking into account the specificity of the Belgian market.
- Develop a tool to aid understanding of the book market, which would lead to greater adhesion of the interprofession.